Thursday, October 2, 2008

Initial Blog Shot

This is the first post for the Mungadai blog. The purpose of the blog is to give the team an easy, reliable way of letting family know how the team is doing and what we're up to. Right now, I'm the only team member who can post on the blog. As we figure out what we are doing, and how to better do it, we'll expand that.

There are a couple of issues the team will have to deal with before this blog is up and running and full speed. The first is obviously OPSEC. We'll do everything we can to keep family updated, but please be cognizant of the fact that this blog will be used, to the greatest extent possible, to update you on what we have done, not on what we're going to be doing in the future. While there is nothing secret in the mission of a Transition Team, OPSEC is still a vital consideration on anything we publish.

Also, I'm not real comfortable with putting the men's given names up on the site. So we'll go with code names, and family members will know, via separate correspondence, who their team member is by his code name. My knee jerk reaction was to just use our call signs, but some of them are pretty dry. Voodoo and Witch Doctor are, of course, a given and those will be used. I obviously chose Boss Mongo. I'm not (you may have heard) a real democratic type of guy, but I'll let the team members pick their own code names; as always, I retain veto power (yeah, I'm talking to you, Mungadai; keep it clean). Initially, I was going to just use some of the nicknames that we've been using around the team room, but I figured Cupcake and Hello Kitty might have some heart burn over that, so the guys will pick their own nicknames. 'Cause that's me, I'm a giver.

So, the plan is for this to become a better and better vehicle to let family members share in the Mungadai days. Eventually, everyone on the team will be able to post, and we'll allow reader comments once we figure out how all this works, exactly (Mongo no like magic computer box; magic box frightens and confuses Mongo). 'Til there's more to write, I'll try to post some of our Mungadai pics of the team thus far, once I, uh, figure it out. Speaking of which: Voodoo, while reviewing the pictures to put up, I saw you giving me bunny ears at the team cook out. You're a dead man.